The following steps will help minimize your risk when you burn candles in your home.
- Follow the instructions printed on the label.
- Trim candlewicks to a height of 5-7 mm (1/4 inch) before lighting the candle.
- Use well-ventilated candle holders that are sturdy and will not tip over. Use caution with glass candle holders, which can break when they get too hot.
- Never drop objects, like matches, into candles.
- Keep burning candles away from materials that can catch fire (like curtains, decorations, and clothing). If your clothes catch fire, “Stop, Drop, and Roll.”
- Keep burning candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Do not leave candles burning with no one in the room.
- Extinguish all candles before you go to sleep.
- Teach your children to be careful around open flames. Make sure they understand that candles are not toys or something they can eat or drink.